The Crime and Disorder Act 1998 placed a legal responsibility on certain public bodies and other agencies to work together to reduce crime, disorder and the fear of crime locally, in order to improve quality of life and to create a safer living and working environment.
Following the Act, various crime and disorder reduction partnerships were set up across the country and one such partnership, which has developed over the years, is the East and Mid Devon Community Safety Partnership.
Members of the Community Safety Partnership include representatives from statutory and voluntary organisations as well as from the business sector. The Partnership Steering Group includes representatives from:
- Devon and Cornwall Police
- Dorset, Devon and Cornwall Community Rehabilitation Company
- Devon County Council
- Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
- East Devon District Council
- Mid Devon District Council
- Devon Clinical Commissioning Group
- Safer Devon Partnership