Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Many services will be experiencing disruption at this time. Please contact them directly for further information.

For guidance on Coronavirus and the latest information on the situation in Devon, visit Devon County Council's Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice page.

Care and support at home

Devon County Council wants to help older people, vulnerable people, and children and young people with additional needs to remain living in their own homes as independently as possible. Sometimes the help of other people is needed to achieve this.

This section provides information on a wide range of services to help you to maintain independence at home. Services may be provided by voluntary organisations, by private individuals or companies, or by Devon County Council.
Although some services may be free, some will require a contribution from you.

A personal assistant (PA) network is provided free of charge by Devon County Council to assist people to find a personal assistant (PA) and for PAs to list their services. PA's do not have to register with the CQC. 

Information on Care Quality Commission (CQC) registered services is taken from the CQC website and displayed automatically on this directory. Providers of these registered services can then add extra useful information to these entries on the Directory.

If you think a vulnerable adult is being abused in any way, tell someone. You can speak in confidence to one of the Safeguarding Adults teams. 

  • For Devon contact Care Direct on 0345 1551 007 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 1pm on Saturdays) or email 

    If an emergency situation happens outside these hours or on a Bank Holiday contact the Emergency Duty Service on 0345 6000 388.

  • For Torbay call 01803 219700 or email Safeguarding Adults

If you suspect that a vulnerable adult is in immediate danger or if there is an emergency situation please call 999

Information and guidance

Personal assistant (PA) / carer

A PA is employed by someone who needs social care, either because of their age or disability, to enable them to live as independently as possible.  PA's do not need to register with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Anyone considering employing a PA should take…

Personal care

Personal care is daily tasks you may need support with, such as bathing, showering, applying creams and lotions, dressing and toileting, all in the comfort of your own home. These services can be provided by a personal assistant (PA), or you may choose to use…

Pet care

Some care / support workers or enablers will be happy to help with looking after a pet, e.g walking a dog, taking pets to the vets for check ups etc. Any care agencies / care workers who have specified this as an option will be…

Protecting Yourself - Age UK

This guide explains the ways that people are sometimes mistreated and the steps you can take to help prevent these things from happening to you. It also tells you what support is available if you feel you’ve been mistreated, and how to report it.

Repairs and adaptations

Find services who offer equipment and innovations to help you stay independent in your own home, such as stair lifts and walk in baths.

Replacement care

Replacement care, or respite care, is designed to give rest or relief to unpaid carers. There are many types of replacement care and it can be provided at home if preferred.

Shopping and delivery services

Find delivery services in your area. Get groceries or shopping delivered direct to your door.
Back to top